Monday, December 06, 2004

California Wildflower Seeding Rates

These rates were calculated from wholesale grower recommendations for per acre seeding rates ... which vary widely species to species because some plants have many seeds small and light, while others yield few seeds large and heavy ... but each seed can produce a plant!

Amounts of viable seed --evenly spread -- to cover the area with plants:


Achillea millefolium, yarrow ------------- one ounce per 2500 square feet, or 0.04 oz per 100 square feet

Baileya multiradiata, desert marigold ----- one ounce per 500 square feet, or 0.20 oz per 100 square feet

Castilleja exserta, purple owl's clover --- one ounce per 2500 square feet, or 0.04 oz per 100 square feet

Clarkia amoena, farewell-to-spring ------ one ounce per 1250 square feet, or 0.08 oz per 100 square feet

Clarkia unguiculata, mountain garland --- one ounce per 1250 square feet, or 0.08 oz per 100 square feet

Collinsia heterophylla, Chinese houses -- one ounce per 400 square feet, or 0.25 oz per 100 square feet

Eschscholzia caespitosa, dwarf California poppy, ounce per 500 square feet or 0.20 oz per 100 square feet

Eschscholzia californica, California poppy, an ounce per 300 square feet, or 0.33 oz per 100 square feet

Gilia capitata, globe gilia ----------------- one ounce per 1250 square feet, or 0.08 oz per 100 square feet

Gilia tricolor, bird's-eyes ---------------- one ounce per 1250 square feet , or 0.08 oz per 100 square feet

Lasthenia californica, dwarf goldfields --- one ounce per 625 square feet, or 0.16 oz per 100 square feet

Lasthenia glabrata, California sunshine ---- one ounce per 400 square feet, or 0.25 oz per 100 square feet

Layia platyglossa, tidy-tips ---------------- one ounce per 400 square feet, or 0.25 oz per 100 square feet

Linanthus grandiflorus - California phlox -- one ounce per 1250 square feet, or 0.08 oz per 100 square feet

Linum lewisii, blue flax --------------------- one ounce per 300 square feet, or 0.33 oz per 100 square feet

Lupinus bicolor, miniature lupine ----------- one ounce per 175 square feet, or 0.57 oz per 100 square feet

Lupinus densiflorus 'Ed Gedling', golden lupine, an ounce per 75 square feet, or 1.33 oz per 100 square feet

Lupinus nanus, sky lupine ------------------ one ounce per 125 square feet, or 0.80 oz per 100 square feet

Lupinus succulentus, arroyo lupine -------- one ounce per 125 square feet, or 0.80 oz per 100 square feet

Mentzelia lindleyi, blazing star ------------- one ounce per 625 square feet, or 0.16 oz per 100 square feet

Nemophila maculata, five-spot ------------ one ounce per 250 square feet, or 0.40 oz per 100 square feet

Nemophila menziesii, baby-blue-eyes ------ one ounce per 300 square feet, or 0.33 oz per 100 square feet

Phacelia campanularia, desert bluebells --- one ounce per 825 square feet, or 0.12 oz per 100 square feet

Phacelia tanacetifolia, tansy phacelia ------ one ounce per 825 square feet, or 0.12 oz per 100 square feet

Sisyrinchium bellum, blue-eyed grass ------ one ounce per 300 square feet, or 0.33 oz per 100 square feet

11 Comments:

At 7:34 PM, Blogger Zeppara said...

Have you ever seen Asparagus this BIG
They grow up to 15in long and 2in wide.
gardening zone

 
At 1:12 PM, Blogger Silvianne said...

I just came across a great gardening website called AtlGardening.com*. Not only does it feature articles for the gardening enthusiast, but has become a great madison square garden
resource for me in my landscaping effort. The webmaster of this site has recently added a book section that seemed to expand everytime I go there.
What I like about it is that I get instant access to the book and don't have to wait for the book(s) to arrive which of course saves me money.....no shipping charges.... in some cases. Great idea. I love it. You must check it out today. Let me know what you think.

 
At 4:52 PM, Blogger Stan said...

The Home Work Company gardening Get The Information You Need

 
At 9:03 PM, Blogger lindaweaverfamily said...

Vegetables are great, but the Heart Start Defibrillator is better (At saving your life, that is ;) ).

 
At 12:21 PM, Blogger Stan said...

Hi, you have a great blog here! Thanks for the info
I have a plants site that has info about plants related stuff.
If you have a moment come and check it out :-)

 
At 6:13 PM, Blogger Beth said...

Hi there,

I just ran across your site and enjoyed reading through everything.

I'm trying to get a blog going on my site too. But I dont think i have the patience to do it!

--Amy
My red maple Site

 
At 7:57 PM, Blogger Beth said...

Hi there,

I just ran across your site and enjoyed reading through everything.

I'm trying to get a blog going on my site too. But I dont think i have the patience to do it!

--Amy
My indoor gardening Site

 
At 2:16 AM, Blogger jole parkinis said...

Jeffrey Caldwell, I need a little inspiration... I've read your post 'California Wildflower Seeding Rates', I enjoyed it so I decided to comment. I've been thinking about my blog and how there are all these people posting strange comments there. Maybe you understand, I'm not sure, but it's tiring to read the numbers of comments that don't have much to do with my stuff. My normal dog house plans website never suffers this because it just sells dog house plans and isn't a blog. Do you have any ideas for how to stop the cluttering of non-relevant comments? Thanks for your great blog. Tips are always welcome...

good day -

 
At 4:10 AM, Blogger Beth said...

Hi there,

I just ran across your site and enjoyed reading through everything.

I'm trying to get a blog going on my site too. But I dont think i have the patience to do it!

--Amy
My black roses Site

 
At 6:10 AM, Blogger jacob jiminhimer said...

Jeffrey Caldwell, I need a little inspiration... I've read your post 'California Wildflower Seeding Rates', I enjoyed it so I decided to comment. I've been thinking about my blog and how there are all these people posting strange comments there. Maybe you understand, I'm not sure, but it's tiring to read the numbers of comments that don't have much to do with my stuff. My normal wood dog houses website never suffers this because it just sells wood dog houses and isn't a blog. Do you have any ideas for how to stop the cluttering of non-relevant comments? Thanks for your great blog. Tips are always welcome...

good day -

 
At 11:22 AM, Blogger James Baker said...

Hey Fellow, you have a great blog here! I have a web
site & blog about pet center.
Yours is top-notch!
If you have a moment, please visit my site
pet center
I wish you all the best!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home