Friday, November 26, 2004

Wildlife Garden Tips

  • Choose species that flower and fruit at different times; with carefully chosen plantings, pollen, nectar, seeds and fruits of one sort or another will always be available.
  • Be sure to include a goodly number of deciduous plants; their yearly abundance of tender new growth and decaying plant parts provide sustenance for many creatures. Many fast growers and abundant fruit-bearers fit in this class.
  • Think insects. Many interesting backyard wildlife species rely heavily or exclusively on insects for food. Begin taking more careful note of them and you will find that insects and other invertebrates themselves can be among the chief delights in the garden. Their beauty and diversity is a never-ending source of wonder and amusement; one Eastern entomologist recorded over 1400 species of insects in his suburban yard! Try using a magnifier.
  • For deeper satisfaction and fewer problems I recommend keeping artificial feeding of wildlife to a minimum; instead, concentrate on working to improve the "carrying capacity" of your domain.
  • Water features are invaluable in wildlife gardens. Also needed are "pioneers" to work with aquatic habitat-gardening. Many fascinating semi-aquatic and aquatic native plants and animals are becoming locally extinct; little is known about them or their culture.
  • Taking notes and making species lists may add to your pleasure and facilitate the sharing of your observations.

Species in each category below are listed in approximate order of flowering:

Annuals

sun: California poppy, bird's-eye gilia, goldfields, miniature lupine, owl's clover, tidy tips, succulent lupine, grand linanthus, globe gilia

semi-sun: miner's lettuce, Chinese houses, elegant clarkia

Perennials

sun: Douglas wallflower, purple needlegrass, Ithuriel's spear, coyote mint, dwarf woolly sunflower, naked eriogonum, narrowleaf milkweed, Kellogg's yampah, Chilean aster, California fuchsia, California goldenrod, golden aster

semi-sun: hound's tongue, California toothwort, California strawberry, hummingbird sage, California fescue, Van Houtte's columbine, tiger lily, western columbine

marsh: spikerush, bur-marigold

Shrubs and vines

chaparral currant, California gooseberry, osoberry, California barberry, buckbrush, blue witch, twinberry, pink-flowering currant, brown dogwood, chaparral clematis, sticky monkeyflower, golden currant, California dogwood, California wild rose, California coffeeberry, toyon, western virgin's bower, California blackberry, thimbleberry, coyote brush, hollyleaf cherry, creambush.

Trees

arroyo willow, coast live oak, California buckeye, blue elderberry.

8 Comments:

At 4:26 PM, Blogger Ezio said...

Have you ever seen Asparagus this BIG
They grow up to 15in long and 2in wide.
organic gardening

 
At 12:49 PM, Blogger Silvianne said...

I just came across a great gardening website called AtlGardening.com*. Not only does it feature articles for the gardening enthusiast, but has become a great flower gardening tip
resource for me in my landscaping effort. The webmaster of this site has recently added a book section that seemed to expand everytime I go there.
What I like about it is that I get instant access to the book and don't have to wait for the book(s) to arrive which of course saves me money.....no shipping charges.... in some cases. Great idea. I love it. You must check it out today. Let me know what you think.

 
At 9:00 PM, Blogger lindaweaverfamily said...

Vegetables are great, but the Heart Start Defibrillator is better (At saving your life, that is ;) ).

 
At 3:59 AM, Blogger Beth said...

Hi there,

I just ran across your site and enjoyed reading through everything.

I'm trying to get a blog going on my site too. But I dont think i have the patience to do it!

--Amy
My tropical plants Site

 
At 3:46 PM, Blogger Paul Adams said...

Hey Jeffrey Caldwell, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!
I have a vpi pet insurance site. It pretty much covers vpi pet insurance related subjects.
Come and check it out if you get time :-)
Best regards!

 
At 2:30 AM, Blogger All the best to you! said...

I just came across your blog and wanted to
drop you, Jeffrey Caldwell, a note telling you how impressed I was with
the information you have posted here.
If you have a moment, please visit my site:
pet training products
It covers pet training products related contents.
I send you warm regards and wish you continued success.

 
At 3:54 PM, Blogger All the best to you! said...

Hi Jeffrey Caldwell!I like your blog! Keep up the
good work, you are providing a great resource on the Internet here!
If you have a moment, please take a look at my site:
vpi pet insurance
It pretty much covers vpi pet insurance related issues.
Best regards!

 
At 6:32 AM, Blogger Chris Moonbeams said...

Hi, I was just wandering the blogosphere and here I am at your blog. I enjoy the style of how this all works.

This is one to watch.

Cheers,

www birding

 

Post a Comment

<< Home